If you’re podcasting and not making money from merchandise, you’re missing out! Merchandise is a great way to make money from your podcast and grow your audience.
So why should you invest in show merchandise? 3 simple reasons:
- Extra income. Who doesn’t want that?
- Build brand recognition. More brand visibility is always a good thing.
- Create a sense of belonging and connection with your audience. Your listener wants to feel invested in yourself and your show.
My top tips on how to make money with merchandise:
1. There are many sites where you can create merchandise without having to go to a flashy, expensive design. My two personal favourites are Teepublic and Redbubble. They essentially do the same thing, except Teepublic have more options for ethically sourced products. So how does it work? You upload an artwork or an image into their system. You can select which of the many products you would like to have available in your own store.For example, T shirts, hoodies, stickers, towels, blankets, cushions etc.
2. Ensure you select the right image or logo. I would recommend using Canva or PicMonkey to save your image to the specific file type that they need within Teepublic and Redbubble. Design guidelines are there for a reason, so make sure you check these out before you order all your merchandise.
3. Mention the merchandise in your show. How successful your merchandise is depends on how much promotion you do. Remember, it is another passive income stream but passive income streams do need time and attention. A simple shoutout in your podcast will allow your listeners to get onboard and hopefully start ordering.
4. Share the merchandise effectively. Examples of how you can do this; everybody that listens get sent a sticker. That would mean you would have their address which is really valuable for you as a business owner to be able to then send them other things through the post. It might be that special guests or listeners who share a particular number of episodes receive a mug or a cap. You can build in this excitement and treat the merchandise as a sort of badge of honour to your listeners.
5. Think about how you can you make your merchandise something really ultra exclusive so that it’s only the guests who come on your show, or the real champions of your show, who get to have the merchandise. This way your guest is receiving extra value and it will be memorable as not a lot of podcasters are actually doing this. And again, they are likely to share it on their socials.
After reading this blog, I hope that you go out and multiply your branding, increase your visibility and build this into your podcast promotion strategy.
Are you looking for full support in turning your podcast into a valuable, cash-generating asset?
I would like to introduce to you our Podcast Profit Maker. The self-paced online course that will show you how to monetise your podcast in the most strategic and profitable way. You will learn how to monetise your ideas, network and visibility to create passive income, so you can focus on what you do best and still generate revenue every single day.
This course is designed to teach you how all the different elements of monetisation work so you can have a podcast that more than pays for itself.
For more information on our Podcast Profit Maker click here